Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spark your Creativity


Last month I attended an event called Spark. It was the second year and it was wonderful. Check out the decor in the pictures above. Over. The. Top.  Seriously. I loved it. When I walked in the first time last year I thought, "Wow! Other people collect random vintage junk too!" Made me feel a little less weird. This year was no different. Just look at all the fun stuff hanging from the ceiling. They even had a pink bike hanging up there.

I enjoyed the creative exercises and chance to just be inspired and break out of my normal mediums. One of my favorite classes was a photography class by Wendy of Blue Lily Photography. She worked with everyone to get them to be able to take photos on MANUAL.  With some hands on teaching and practice with my camera, I'm happy to say I've shot mostly manual since then.

There were lots of other amazing classes which apparently I was too involved with the projects to take pictures. There was a collage class by April Meeker, a lampshade turned mobile class by Margie Romney-Aslett, a photoshop class by Rhonna Farrer, a wool felting class by Emily Falconbridge, a memory corsage by Janet Hopkins, a mini book class by Liz Kartchner, and a lot of other fun mini classes sprinkled here and there.  Mindy Gledhill did a mini concert and it was a treat to hear here songs as well as her story.

I met some fun and talented people both years and it was fun to see some of last years friends as well as meet new ones. They reminded me of goals I set last year but haven't made any progress on. This event really was a catalyst to my recent line of thinking and has given me new "spark" to get going on some of my goals.  Last year was magic. This year was wonderful.  I hope Spark continues as a focus on creativity and connecting with the inner artist along with the chance to learn new techniques, mediums and arts from artists all around the world.

P.S. In the photo class Wendy set up scenes for us to practice. One of them was some vintage toys on a funky orange polka dot background. I had the same toys growing up. It made me think how cool it would be to take some shots of what kinds of toys my kids play with at the different stages of their lives. I almost wish I could go back in time and get some shots from when they all were really small. Now it's mostly video games or bike riding or skateboarding- not as camera friendly. But I'm going to be on the lookout for little scenes like that to shoot. Fun memory.

P.S.S. Don't forget to enter my little Vintage Betty Crocker Recipe Card Set giveaway. It ends Thursday night.

post signature