Monday, June 28, 2010

Mini Print: Ordinary Moments


I had the chance to attend Evo Conference last weekend. It's a conference for women in social media. Wow! Amazing stuff. The presenters and speakers were so wonderful. I learned a lot. Can I share a few themes that stuck out to me? Then this mini print will make more sense. The first thing is that everyone has a story to tell. No matter who you are- your life is important and what you do in your life is worth recording and sharing. Social media- blogging, twitter, facebook status updates, etc. all are just tools to help you record then lines and threads of your story.

The thing with these stories is that each one is unique. No other person in the world has your exact story to tell. There may be similar in theme but they are different. The trick is to tell your own story in authentic way so that you are true to yourself and the life you've been given.

I loved this idea but it's hard to do sometimes. I see things around me that make me feel like my own story is not as important or maybe I'm not as important. Or maybe there is not room for someone like me here.

One of the speakers, Brene Brown said that this is one of the biggest negatives of Social Media. It makes people feel like only extraordinary things are valuable and worthy. It encourages you to compare your ordinary with someone else's extraordinary.

This is where the second point comes in that I'd like to share. Ordinary does not equal unimportant. Brene shared stories from her research with survivors of traumatic events & people who have lost loved ones to traumatic events. The one thing they all said was they wished they could just have the ordinary moments back.

The moments that might be considered mundane or trivial are actually the things they miss most. 

Wow, right? That really struck me. I am sometimes guilty of not appreciate those ordinary moments. Sometimes when I am smack in the middle of a humongous pile of laundry, or a ginormous stack of dishes I think of all the perfectly styled hair, homes, and children... and well, my life doesn't seem to match up very well.

That's the whole thing about telling your own story and appreciating those ordinary moments. Everyone's normal is different. Everyone's ordinary is different. But they are all important and valuable and worth celebrating.

Dear readers of my blog. I know some of you personally. Some of you, I don't. Those of you who know me personally know that my house is CRAZY sometimes. I don't profess to have all the answers or be great at anything. I have dust on the tops of my picture frames, dishes waiting in my sink, and clothes that will probably never get mended before they are outgrown. I have 30 pounds to lose and have a temper sometimes. I am insecure a lot. I take things personally that I shouldn't.  I've had sad things happen to me. I've had happy things happen to me. I am real.

I hope to be more authentic at telling my story here.  I will still post things I love. Things that inspire me. Things I make, write, and do with my family. Things that make me laugh. And things that I hope will help me become better. A better woman. A better wife. A better mom.

By doing so, I hope you know that I post them because they have meaning in my life. If they don't have meaning in yours- that's okay. I appreciate you visiting anyway. I am freeing myself from worrying if people will like what I put here. Or if they won't. I am freeing myself from trying to live up to someone else's extraordinary. My ordinary will do just fine. It's my story after all and who better to tell it than me.

When I am old and my children are grown. I want to have extraordinary memories of our ordinary moments. I made a mini print for me and I'd love to share it with you, if you'd like it. You can download the [Ordinary Moments Mini Print] for personal use. Just option click (mac) or right click (pc) on the previous link. If you click on the image, you'll just get a png file- which is fine if you want to share this on the web. But if you click on the link, you'll download a pdf file that you can print onto cardstock on your home printer.


post signature