Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fabric Expandable File




This was a crazy project. I wanted to try and make a fabric expandable file folder. I didn't do a good job of step by step instructions or photos but I thought I'd show you anyway. I kind of like how it turned out. I was making it up as I went along and probably should have used black thread- my white thread shows my crazy stitching too much. Oh well.

I found a cheap plastic file folder at a thrift store and took it apart to use as a pattern. I carefully ripped out the accordion folded sides & the plastic dividers. I planned on using the dividers again. The accordion folded plastic sides would just be used for a pattern.


After I had it all taken apart, I used each piece and traced around it on my new fabric. I cut two fabric pieces per plastic pattern piece plus some heavy fabric interfacing for each.


After I had all the pieces cut, I pinned them right sides together, added the interfacing, sewed up the shell like a pillowcase, turned it right side out and pressed it.

For the accordion sides, I sewed the small pieces together first then fan folded and pressed them into shape. Then I sewed in the plastic dividers to each corresponding fold on both of the accordion sides. That part was kind of tricky. I unpicked it a few times. Then just sewed the accordion side edges with the attached plastic to my outer shell and added a ribbon to tie it together.

I took it on a road trip and filled it with magazines I wanted to read. Fun!

post signature