Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Orange Cleaning Spray


I just made a new batch of orange cleaner and thought I'd share how to do it. It's an updated version of this post. Which is great if you have patience. The previous version takes four weeks. Who has four weeks to make cleaner? Not me I discovered.

So I found a faster way. I think it's just as effective and I love it! Same as before, you'll need lots of orange peels. We eat a lot of oranges around here and my kids all know to save the peels. I just have gallon zip bag in the fridge to store them until I'm ready. When the bag is full, it's time to make a new batch! This version takes a few hours of hands off time instead of four weeks.

You'll need:

Orange peels
A few sprigs of Thyme
Water
Vinegar
Essential Oils (optional)

Place your orange peels in a pot and fill half way with water.  Add the sprigs of thyme, cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until the orange peels are really soft and mushy.

Strain out (and keep) the leftover liquid. I squish the orange peels while I'm straining to get all the goodness out of the peels that I can. Make sure there aren't any leftover chunks of thyme or peel or it'll clog up your spray bottle later.  Pour into a lidded container and store in your refrigerator until you need to whip up some more cleaner.

When you are ready to use,  add about half this water/orange mixture and half vinegar to a clean spray bottle. Add a few drops of essential oil-I like lavender with this. It really masks the smell of the vinegar.  I have also used cinnamon during the winter months (adding sticks to the simmering pot).

Shake Shake Shake before using. It works great!

post signature