Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Fabric Pom Pom Flowers





My new take on tissue paper pom poms-FABRIC! I've been experimenting with these and have to say I love them just as much.  I think they let you bring the same fun effect to things where the paper version wouldn't work as well. Pin them to pillows, tote bags, make a vase full, add some to a lamp base, make a giant pom pom pennant... 

You can make them in any size, just like the paper versions.  If you don't know how to make them you can find the Martha Stewart tutorial [here].

For these fabric versions however, I found you will need to make a few adjustments:

1. Add a few more layers of fabric for a full pom pom
2. Unless your fabric is already stiff, you will need to use starch to keep it standing up and poofable :)
3. Use an iron to press your creases in the fan fold.

You may want to starch, fan-fold, iron, and trim one sheet of fabric at a time and then stack them together. I tied the huge stack together in the middle with a scrap of fabric and then just separated the layers and poofed up the flower around each side.
 

post signature