Friday, September 04, 2009

When matching becomes a weapon



Daughters:

I don't know what it's like to be a triplet. But I do know what it's like to be the mom of triplets.  I have found myself creating rules that I never in a million years thought I'd have create. Like this one:

You are only allowed to wear the same outfit if ALL three of you decide to wear it. 

You may think that is a strange rule. I do too. However, it seems that for a lot of life as a triplet it's two against one. I don't like that.  I don't like when two sisters decide to wear the same outfit so they can be "best buddies" and leave the other sister out of the plan.  It makes me sad for the sister who is left out.  Why do you do that? Please stop it.

Why do I buy matching outfits? I don't know.  It was really cute when you were little. It's easier. There is this pressure that each of your clothes be equally as cute as the others. That's why I just end up buying three of the same thing so none of you feel like you are left out. I really only do it when I buy new stuff (as opposed to thrifted or made).  But, maybe it's time to just stop the matching option all together.  Then you CAN'T get hurt feelings.

The picture above was a few years ago- before the drama games started. You fought with each other then, surely.  But now, add in growing emotions and watch out.  I mean, I had fights with my sisters growing up. I think all sisters do.  But, some days I really don't know if you three will make it to adulthood.

Girlies, please be nice to each other or I will buy you only one set of all matching clothes and make you wear them every day to every function forever. 

Love,

Mom

  post signature