Friday, May 22, 2009

Tagged

I was recently tagged by Sarah. Here are my answers to her questions:

What is your current obsession?

Finding vintage homemaking books.  I love the style and the techniques found in them. They contain a lot of lost skills that most people don't have anymore. 

What is my weirdest obsession?

Radio station surfing in my car.  I have 18 preset stations and I rotate through them over and over. I hardly listen to a whole song start to finish.  It's not that I don't like the songs, I just have to hear the exact right song for the exact moment.  Annoying to others in the car? Yes. Sorry. I blame my radio business father.

Why is today special?

It's Friday, the start of a three day holiday weekend, and we have perfect weather. I love days like today! High in the low 70's & partly-sunny with a cool breeze. No lights on inside (there's plenty of sunlight coming in the windows) and I don't have to turn on any A/C or heat.

What would you like to learn to do?

Hummm, let's see.  Here are just a few things: run a letterpress, illustrate a children's book, quilt something worth keeping, hit a golf ball where I aim, do a flawless yoga practice, remember guitar chords, make Mattar Paneer...

oh, and- hold back time, create more hours, capture moments.

What's for dinner today?

Tonight is the annual Grandparents dinner with all my married cousins! It's so fun! My grandparents take all of us out to eat once a year to celebrate our birthdays.  And there are a lot of us. About 50 (and that's not the one's who are not married...)

What's the last thing I bought?

Gasoline for my car on the way home from dropping off the kids at school. Not my favorite activity or purchase.  I am really disappointed when I get in the car and the gas light is on. Gasoline is such a drag.

What am I listening to right now?

My 2 year old playing cars. It's one of the best sounds ever. 2 year olds are hilarious people! Here's a few recent quotes from him: "Mom I want a Quesy Gorilla." Translation: "Mom I want a Quesadilla."
"The boys are going to car-aught-are-eee." Translation: "The boys are going to karate"

What's your most challenging goal right now?

Finding balance and time to do everything I need and want to do. Getting the big rocks in the bucket first and letting the smaller stones fill in where they can. I sometimes do the opposite. I do the unimportant things first then stress when I can't do the important. I need to switch that around.

What do I think of the person who tagged me?

Sarah is a writer I met on Twitter and through my blog. She has a cute blog called Words at Play. She posts one word as her theme for her circumstances that day and writes about what it means to her. Such a great idea! She is mom to twins and anyone with multiples is a kindred spirit- sometimes it's hard ya'll.  Although, now that mine are 8--- some of the sheer exhaustion has been traded for emotion. Can we say "drama?"  I can't imagine the teen years. Oh, my.

If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?

Switzerland - I spent a summer working there during college and fell in love. I haven't had the chance to go back yet.  I thought I knew french, until I got there. There's nothing like trying to work in a foreign country where the language is shaky. I'm certain I provided many laughs for the people I tried to communicate with. I worked half of the summer as a checker and the other half in the flower department at Migros, a grocery & general merchandise store. I barely survived the checker part.  I LOVED the flower part.

Switzerland is the perfect location. It's a train ride to anywhere, covers three or four languages, and is georgeous! FYI... sadly, most of the French that I became quite fluent in while I was there has long since left me.

Favorite vacation spot?

Anywhere really. I think it's the change of routine, the adventure, & the new discoveries that make a vacation great. That and time to read uninteruptedly for days on end.... amazing!

What would you like to have in your hands right now?

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time to when my children were infants and just hold them and snuggle them and smell their fresh newborness. It's really not fair because you are so exhausted and emotional when they are that small- you don't appreciate it fully and the next thing you know it's gone. That'd be a good thing to hold for awhile. 

What would you like to get rid of?

Besides extra weight? Probably all the junk in my basement. We've been going through closets and drawers and bagging up things we don't use. For now we've just put it in the basement. The annual neighborhood yard sale is coming up, thank goodness.

If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?

Lunch in Paris would be nice!

What super power would you like to possess?

The ability to stop time. How cool would it be to stop time, finish everything you need to, then start it back up again? 

What’s your favorite piece of clothing in your own closet?

I'm not much of a clothes person. I'd rather spend money on art/craft supplies, music, or books.  I don't really have anything I care too much about. I even rented my wedding dress. I would say the things I wear the most are my jeans, fitted t-shirts (I just got a cool one that says "design will save the world" ), jackets and flats.

What’s your dream job?

I love to design. I love my design clients. But I'd love to try surface design.... seems like a pretty cool, gig! Oh, and my suppressed rock singer ambitions. I remember telling an old highschool boyfriend in all seriousness that I WOULD have an album someday. Like, scarily-obsessed girl told him. Poor boy.  I think of that sometimes and laugh. If you could have seen the look!  Ahh, youth!

If you had $150 now what would you spend it on?

Arts and craft supplies and/or fabric and sewing supplies. And a lock and key to keep them away from my kids. 

What do you find annoying?

This phrase: "Adoption? Oh, you did it the EASY way."- - - Guess what, nothing is easy about adoption.  It's amazing. It's fulfilling. It's beautiful. It's the ultimate gift. It is not, however, easy. For the birthparents, for the adoptive parents, or the children.

Describe your personal style.

I like to mix vintage things with modern and traditional items.  If I can- I like to make. If not make, then hopefully find. If not find, then buy used. If I can't buy used, then I'll buy new. I like weird things that might not fit in anyone else's house. I assign meaning to things to remind me of goals or important ideas in my life. 

I finally came to the understanding a few years ago that my house doesn't have to be my mothers, or anyones elses. It's okay to have old things. It's okay to have a creative home.We think it's beautiful and that's what matters.

If money was no object what is one renovation you would do to your home?

Build a two story floor to ceiling bookcase in my living room with a rolling ladder. Then fill it with vintage books, art, and collected objects. 

Who’s closet would you want to raid?

My youngest sister Megans shoes and boots!  We are the same shoe size too! He He He!

What are you most proud of?

My children. But I don't take credit for them. They are all gifts. All individuals. And they teach me more than I could ever teach them. I am in awe and amazed at the things they have had to overcome and they things they achieve every day.

Rules of the Tag Game: I am supposed to tag seven people. You are then to answer the questions and can change one to something more of your liking if you want.  I am not a good tag player. I want everyone to have a turn. So, if you are a reader, consider yourself tagged! I'd love to read more about you.