Friday, April 17, 2009

The Matryoshka Tradition


I remember my mom teaching me how to thread her sewing machine and the smell of the machine oil.  I have vivid memories of her making dinner to take to neighbors, playing with us in the rain, of every holiday tradition she so carefully created for us.  I remember my grandmothers teaching me the perfect temperature of water to mix with yeast for homemade bread, to love classical music, to give everyone a chance, to work hard. As I look back on my life, I have bits and pieces of the women before me in my mothering and the way I make my home.


Homemaking. What do you think of this word?  To me, it's carving out the life you want to share with your family.  It's creating the traditions, the routines, & the spirit of your home. Making a sanctuary for your family. It's also the care and upkeep of your home.  It's the favorite recipes passed down from generation to generation.  It's the skills and attitudes you teach to your children.  I feel like some of the old traditions and skills are getting lost as time goes on. That makes me sad. I have been collecting old Homemaking books forever because I love the bits of old wisdom they contain. Some of them are funny and quaint. Some of them are more relevant than ever.



The other day I read a great post that has had me thinking about motherhood & homemaking.  The author talked about Matryoshka dolls and how to her they represent the continuation of one generation of women to the next.  The passing of knowledge, skills, and tradition from grandmother to mother to daughter. 


I've been thinking what skills I've taught my children, my daughters especially. I tend to get frustrated or overwhelmed and either just do things myself or not do them at all.  Sometimes six kids helping in the kitchen is just more than I can handle. But, I want to be part of this line of tradition. I don't want these things to stop with me.  I'm inspired to do better. 

image via