Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gettin' crafty with it

 

I'm a fan of ink-jet iron on transfers.  Use them a lot.  But I just found out about another product that might rival it's DIY coolness.  Ink-jet FABRIC.  Yep.  Actual fabric that you can run through your printer. Rinse. Iron. Done! 

So here's a recipe for cool craftiness:
Art file (drawing, photo, clipart) + Ink-jet fabric + sewing machine + batting =  personalized stuffed toy or pillow.

Check out this cute example from Twig and Thistle:

 
If you want to try out another way to print your own fabric check out Spoonflower. I wrote about them on my other blog [HERE]. I've used them and it's pretty cool!  Now they are out of beta and anyone can use their services.  I had a bunch of patterns I created made up into fabric swatches.  They turned out great.
So, for fast & cheapish (but not as long lasting probably) the ink-jet fabric would be the way to go. For better quality (but still pretty reasonable prices) go with Spoonflower. 
Let me know if you try it and what you make?