Friday, September 05, 2008

Guilt-Free Homemaking?




My mom gave me an book from about 7 years ago called "The Creation Plan: a seven day approach to guilt free homemaking" by Betty Meyers. Like the 1983 cover? I read it, loved the concept and started doing some of the ideas right away. I gave the book back to my mom thinking I'd remember it. Like a lot of things, I did the system for about a year and then had a baby, moved, and kind of got off track. As you know, I've been trying to get some organization back in my life, so I asked my mom to track the book down for me again for a refresher course. I just finished reading it and it is still such a great idea!

Basically, you break up your housekeeping duties up into tasks per day. Her inspiration is the creation of the world.  There were distinct periods of activity in the creation and we can apply that same structure to our homemaking. Not everything is done all at once. And you don't have to feel guilty about the laundry sitting in your laundry room because it has it's own day, it will get done then, and can learn some patience! Does your laundry whine to you? I swear mine does sometimes. So rude.

I found a summary of the book HERE.  I'd recommend reading the whole thing if you can find it. To help me map out my routine, I searched for something I could print out and use for a weekly schedule.  Like you used to do in college- filling in what hours your classes would be. This schedule starts in the 5:00 hr. In college, any classes before 10:00 am were considered way too early. Anyway, I couldn't find something I liked so I made my own. I typed in my ideal daily schedule (knowing that it won't happen all the time but 'if you shoot for the moon . . .' right?). I shaded and color coded what each block of time is for, personal, family, work, etc. . . Taking the idea from the book I once again gave myself "the dailies" which are the tasks for the day and wrote them in the squares at the bottom of each day. 


I made a blank version for any of you who want to try this with me. Click on the image above to enlarge it and then print. It fits on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet.

Happy Housekeeping!