Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You are enough!

This morning I read a talk given by Patricia and Jeffrey R. Holland in 2007 called "What time is this?"  I was reminded of something today.  She talks about how women get in a bad habit of comparing themselves to others creating the feeling that what we have and what we are is not enough which leaves us feeling weak, worthless, and jealous.  


She talks about how this is so completely opposite of our true nature as Women and Daughters of God.  She asks us to strip ourselves of pride and envy & vanity forever.  To stop beating ourselves up and let the the grace of heaven wash over us and make us whole.  She says "Only He can lift us where He wants us and where we really want to be.  We can't get there by clawing or clamor, by cattiness or cutting others down."

I just love that thought.  It's so hard not to compare yourself to others sometimes it seems like everyone else has it just right.  But one thing I've learned is that everyone has SOMETHING. Something that they are going through, want to change, want to forget, want to make happen. How great would it be if we could all encourage and celebrate each other's successes instead of feeling bad about our perceived shortcomings? 

I heard a song on my way home from taking the kids to school from Tim McGraw called "One of These Days"  in it he sings this:

Now everybody stands up
The congregation sings
It’s a song of sweet forgiveness
And as the chorus rings
The wind blows clear my memory
The pages start to turn
Then suddenly I’m singin’
The moment that I learn

One of these days I’m gonna love me
And feel the joy of sweet release
One of these days, I’ll rise above me
And at last I’ll find some peace
Then I’m gonna smile a little
Maybe even laugh a little but
One of these days I’m gonna love me


I love the "one of these days, I'll rise above me and at last I'll find some peace." It just hit home with what I read this morning. Patricia Holland says that it's a challenge we might have to face daily. I agree with that. Being friends with yourself everyday is kind of hard. But the good thing is: You can try again every day! She says this "Every effort is a godly one, and every victory is counted for our good."  

So today, make friends with yourself and then do something nice for your new friend- bad hair days, unwashed dishes, mood swings and all.