Monday, July 07, 2008

The Rescue


The stories of the Mormon pioneers are heartbreaking and inspirational.  I wonder if I could have lived through some of the things that they survived. The story of the Martin-Willie companies is so touching to me. Wanting to follow the prophet and gather with the saints in the valley, they had an incredibly rough journey due to a late start and early storms.  For a good account of their story read [HERE].


There have been times in my life that I've felt like I was stranded and helpless. Like the Martin and Willie Companies, rescuers have come to our aid . Family, neighbors, friends, & even strangers have reached out to help our family. Whether large or small, we've been given temporal, spiritual, and emotional rescue time and time again. We recently have (again) been the recipients of such helping hands.  

Words cannot adequately describe the gratitude I feel for the acts of kindness and service that have been done on our behalf. I am so thankful to all of you.

This image is a painting by J. Kirk Richards, one of my favorite artists, called "The Carriers." It depicts the story of the young men who carried the stranded pioneers back and forth across the freezing river.